Friday, September 19, 2008

Captain Safety

So I am usually a pretty safe dude, since I work in a steel mill quite a bit and have to always look out for things that will kill me at anytime. This is more of a reason that I should be safe at home but it usually never translates to that right?
I am getting ready to replace my roof next weekend - should be fun - but I have a few spots that started leaking and had not fixed them yet. With the horrendus rain that came last weekend I finally decided to get up there and place a tarp over the house to keep my drywall ceiling in the garage and kitchen from getting damaged. I go the my favorite store - Home Depot - and buy a 30x50 tarp and decide that I can spread this out myself on my roof. It is pretty flat and no angles, just a ranch so I figure no problem. It is pouring rain and I am trying to figure out a chinese oragami tarp that has been folded 37 times which could never be placed back into the package without a friggin robot. Anyway, the wind is blowing and now I am soaked, by the way did I mention I am home alone with the kids in the living room? Ya right, so I am near the ridgeline of the house about 2' down and all of a sudden like Tom Hanks in the money pit I am up to my armpits and have fallen through the roof. Went through like a sack of potatos! Yup, I am an idiot.
Pull myself up, huge hole in the roof now. Lucky that I didn't go right through to the kitchen floor. Leg bleeding, my 4 1/2 year old comes out and is giggling in the driveway and I tell him to go inside.
Life is fun.
Oh, yes the hole is covered and now my roofing project has been moved up to next weekend.
Pics to follow.

Bean